Sunday, June 8, 2014

In El Salvador for the night.

Well we made it through 2 borders today. Into and out of Honduras. We actually like Honduras, but it is a quick trip through it. We did have lunch at the hotel we stayed at the last time through. 

The border at Amatillo is the most corrupt crossing anywhere in Central America. When we first parked several people flocked to us for a chance to "earn" our business of helping us through the border. 

We picked a mild mannered man who I was ok giving $15 to help us out of Honduras. He was ok, but another guy came up and said that for $35 dollars that he could get us through quicker. I said no and he kept pushing. He was saying that without him I could be waiting for hours to get out of Honduras. Then when I still said no, he said that the police were crazy and might throw me in prison. Then when I still said no, he was talking about how he was in prison in the states. I think by this point he was trying to intimidate me into paying him. I kept saying no, getting heated with him and he finally went away. I think that the Aduana officer intentionally delayed us because the crazy guy gives him a cut. When he left, 10 min later we were through. 

The next guy helping us get into El Salvador (different people for getting out if one country and into the next) pretty much just showed us the immigration Line and then directed us to Customs and wanted a big tip. He didn't even help with immigration and could not go to the customs area. He got $5 tip and es lucky for that. 

After nearly 4 hours we made it through. What a complete pain in the rear end. The other borders gave been so much easier with my Spanish much improved from the way down. Let's hope the rest are easy too. 

Enjoy your journey,
Stew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment